How to make a Diary of a Wimpy Kid Birthday Cake
I am so excited to share with you Step by Step Directions on How to make a Diary of a Wimpy Kid Birthday Cake just like the one you see pictured to your left in the photo. I wish I can take credit for this excellent cake creation, but I am sad to say I cannot. This cake was made by my friend Miriam who was more than happy to share how she created it so you can do it too.
A little about Miriam – Miriam is not a Professional Cake Decorator it is just a new hobby she has taken on and is very passionate about. She is self taught using resources such as You Tube Tutorials, Books, Cake Websites, Instructional DVDs and has only taken one Cake Decorating course. She created this cake for her nephew who is a big fan of this book series. She also aspires to have her own Cake Boutique one day and the way this cake came out I do not think she will be short on customers. So I would like to again thank Miriam for taking the time to share these directions with us – Thanks Miriam!!!
With the Diary of a Wimpy Kid Movie and Book #5 coming a Diary of a Wimpy Kid Birthday Party will grow in popularity. So if you are deciding on having this party theme then this Birthday Cake will no doubt be a great choice. I personally have never used Fondant & Gum Paste or made a Book Cake, but I am willing to give it a try using Miriam’s directions to show you it is not as hard as it looks. So stay tuned for my Cake Photos coming soon, but for now let me share Miriam’s directions with you.
Here is what you will Need:
- A Copy of a Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book for reference
- Cake Batter from Mix or Scratch
- Modeling White Chocolate
- Fondant Smoother
- Buttercream or Decorator’s Icing
- Parchment Paper
- Cake Lifter, Spatula or Burger Flipper
- Black, White & Red Satin Ice Fondant
- 13″ x 9″ Baking Pan
- Gum Paste
- Edible Black Writing Marker
- Light Corn Syrup
- Small Artist Paintbrush
- Quilting Rotary Tool
Please read instructions completely so that you can plan your steps. Give yourself a couple of days to make the cake before it is needed. For example, make the Wimpy Kid Figure (Gregory) and Gum Paste Message a day or two in advance. If you can take your time modeling Gregory you won’t be overwhelmed. Both may be left at room temperature.
Fondant is a little tricky to work with. In warm, humid climates it is sticky. Use cornstarch to prevent this. In cold, dry climates it becomes dry and cracks. To help with this, knead a little Crisco into it.
It is very, very difficult to color fondant, Red or Black. The more coloring you add to it, the drier and less tastier it becomes. It is best to buy it pre-made. Ice Fondant is the best. All the top bakers in the industry use it.
Directions for making the Cake:
1. Bake the Cake (Any flavor you wish) on a greased 13″ x 9″ inch Rectangular Baking Pan.
2. Let cake cool completely on parchment paper. With parchment paper underneath, the cake can be easily lifted. Cake must be cooled completely, otherwise it will crumble when decorating.
3. Cake may be cut in half, in two layers. Fill with Buttercream or Decorator’s Icing in between for added thickness and height.
4. Crumb coat or ice the cake with Buttercream or Decorator’s Icing smoothly. Refrigerate iced cake for 1-2 hours. This is important because otherwise the icing will melt as you apply the fondant. The icing is what adheres the fondant to the cake.
5. Roll out the White Fondant and cover the iced cake. Smooth out with Fondant Smoother.
6. Roll out the Red Fondant, wide enough in a rectangular shape to make the cover of the book.
7. Using the Cake Lifter, Spatula or Burger Flipper, lift up the cake and place the cake about an inch from the right edge of the Red Fondant. Carefully, pick up the left side of the fondant and lay it over the top of the cake to complete cake cover. Trim cover as needed.
8. Smooth out top of the cake and edges. Actual book is now completed.
9. To make the Binding just mix some Red Fondant with a very very little piece of Black Fondant to get the desired color. Then Roll & Cut Even Strips and stick them on.
10. The Black Edge down the left side of the book is done using your Edible Black Marker. Then the indents around the book cover were done using the Quilting Rotary Tool. Just go very lightly around the edge so that you do not cut the Cake.
The Wimpy Kid Figure (Gregory) is made out of modeling chocolate and sculpted by hand. The black details on the figure are made with the Black Fondant. Parts or pieces are attached with the light corn syrup and applied lightly with the artist brush.
Birthday message is made by rolling out a thin piece of Gum Paste and tearing the edges by hand, for that teared paper effect. Let dry overnight. Use the Edible Black Marker to write Birthday Message. Adhere to the cake with some icing or corn syrup.
And there you have it: A Diary of a Wimpy Kid Birthday Cake !!
A Few more words from Miriam – These websites have tutorials on techniques, and recipes for making: Fondant, Gum Paste, Buttercream, Modeling Chocolate and Cakes from scratch: You Tube, Wilton and Cake Central. Michael’s craft store sells Pre-made: White Fondant, Gum Paste, Fondant Smoother, Edible Markers, Decorator’s Icing etc… These are all Wilton products. Wal-Mart sells some Wilton tools and baking products too, cheaper than Michael’s.
Thanks for all the tips Miriam
If you have made a Diary of a Wimpy Kid Cake or use this tutorial to make one and would like to share your photos with my readers please contact me.