How to make Zhu Zhu Pets Cupcakes
So after I created my post on How to have a Zhu Zhu Pets Birthday Party I was being asked about ideas for a Zhu Zhu Pets Birthday Cake by many parents. So being Cupcakes are one of my favorite things to have at a Birthday Party I decided to get baking and come up with a very simple idea that anyone can do for their Zhu Zhu Pets Party and I am going to show you right here Step by Step. If a Birthday Cake is your thing you can use the same design to create one of those as well.
As you can see in the photo above I created a Zhu Zhu Cupcake for each of the current Zhu Zhu Pets on the market at this time, I did my best to match their colors using products you can easily find right in your own grocery store. So lets start with what I used to create these Hamster Cupcakes.
Of course you will need to bake some Cupcakes – flavor is your choice – I used Yellow Cupcake Mix just because that is what we like. You will also need White (Vanilla) Frosting and Chocolate Frosting. Now if you are looking to make all the Zhu Zhu Pets you will need some coloring for their colors and I will tell you what I did for each of them below. On hand I had Wilton’s Black Food Coloring Gel and also Yellow and Red Food Coloring.
For their Eyes I used Brown Mini M&M’s. Their noses were Pink Jelly Beans (mine happened to be Bubblegum Flavor – Yum). After much thought and searching I chose to use Sliced Almonds for their ears – they were the perfect shape and stuck right into the cupcake and you can eat them.
I thought about adding whiskers and I was going to use uncooked Angel Hair Spaghetti, but I decided to leave them off in the end. If you want to add some that is what I would suggest using – just have the kids pull them out prior to eating. Now let me show you how easy it is to create them:
Step 1: Frost your Cupcake
Step 2: Take your Sliced Almonds and frost them the colored needed for the ears and stick them into the Cupcake.
Step 3: Add on your M&M Eyes. Now take your Cupcakes at this step and stick them in the fridge to harden a bit before the next step. I waited about 15 minutes.
Step 4: Take your white frosting and make 2 nice size piles on both sides underneath the eyes then connect in the middle as shown in the photo. Be careful not to pull up any of the frosting color below – that is why it is important to let harden some in the fridge. You want this to stick up a bit so it is OK to use a generous amount.
Step 5: Carefully add on your Pink Jelly Bean Nose and you have your self a SWEET Zhu Zhu Pet Cupcake – OK this one may come with a little mess, but nothing that is not easy to clean up!!! See how easy that is?
Now lets talk about the colors of the Zhu Zhu Pets Cupcakes. Personally I have no Zhu Zhu pets in my home and I worked off of pictures from the internet – so my colors may be off in some instances, but I think they are pretty darn close. You obviously do not have to do each of them and can choose to do just one color style or maybe just a few, but I wanted to show you them all and I had fun playing as my daughter watched them come to life in the kitchen. I kinda felt like I was back in art class mixing up colors until I got what I wanted. You just have to play a bit until you get the color you want, but I will share what I did for each of them to get you started. So here we go:
- Winkie: For this one I used White (Vanilla) Frosting and mixed in the Wilton’s Black Food Coloring Gel until it made a nice Black Color. I frosted the Sliced Almonds White for his ears.
- Nugget: I used the White (Vanilla) Frosting and mixed in a tiny bit of Chocolate Frosting and then a few drops of Yellow Food Coloring. His ears were frosted the same color.
- Patches: I pretty much did the same as above, but used less Chocolate Frosting and Yellow Food Coloring for a lighter color and his ears were frosted White.
- Mr. Squiggles: For him I just mixed White (Vanilla) Frosting and Chocolate to get a lighter Brown Color. His ears were frosted the same color.
- Chunk: I must say he was the easiest and was Frosted using only the White (Vanilla) Frosting – ears and all.
- Num Nums: Now Num Nums should be a light Gray Color, but mine is more a Steel Gray – I think if I played more I could have gotten his color closer. I ended up adding the White (Vanilla) Frosting to the Black and just could not get it light enough. His ears were frosted the same color.
- Jilly: For Jilly I used the White (Vanilla) Frosting and added in some Red Food Coloring to get it Pink. Jilly should be a lighter Pink Color, but my daughter liked it so I kept it as it was. Her ears were also frosted the same color.
- Scoodles: Another easy one using just Chocolate Frosting and his ears were frosted the same color.
- Pipsqueek: For him I used White (Vanilla) Frosting and I added in a drop or two of Yellow Food Coloring and & Dab of the Pink Frosting to get a Peachy Yellow Color. The ears were frosted the same color.
If you decide you want to have a Zhu Zhu Pet Birthday Cake you can use this same method by using a regular round cake, but you will obviously have to change the items used due to the fact they would have to be much larger. So for the Eyes you can just use frosting in circles or larger round black candies. For the nose I would just use Pink Frosting and the ears could be frosted cookies like Lady Fingers. If I was doing a cake I would definitely use the Uncooked Angel Hair Spaghetti for whiskers. maybe I will have to bake a sample cake – only problem is we all started our diets today – It is Monday ya know. Yes we ate all the Zhu Zhu Pets Cupcakes last night and they were definitely YUMMY!!!
If you liked this idea please comment and if you will be making or have made some Zhu Zhu Pets Cupcakes or Birthday Cake – send me a photo I would be happy to share it here for other parents to see.
Also stop by and check out my post that explains How to have a Zhu Zhu Pets Birthday Party you will find everything you need to pull it off right there.
I just created a Zhu Zhu Pet Birthday Cake also with Step by Step directions – it is a lot easier to make than it looks. To see the directions visit my post – HERE.
NOTE: All pictures in this post above are property of The Party Animal if you would like to use them you must Contact Us for permission.
We are also not affiliated with Cepia in anyway, besides loving their products!!!